Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Saved Sinners, Pt. 3

Okay, sorry for the delay in the third Saved Sinners episode.

As I was saying, they successfully fucked with my peace of mind. The next day, I woke up, went to my 9 a.m. class, barely concentrated (it felt like I floated through it) and then went to the Union and sat down. I couldn't figure out why in the hell I had so much time on my hands. Shrugging it off, I went back to my dorms and caught up on some much need sleep. Later on that day, I went to another class and then went to the office to use the printer. My boss comes out, and looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Hey College Chronicler," she says, staring, "is everything okay?"
"Huh?" I asked, confused. Damn, did everyone know that I had been royally screwed?
"Yeah...you didn't show up for work today and you didn't call..." She looked at me expectantly.
"What are you talking about?," I said, genuinely confused. "Today's Thursday and...." My sentenced died in the Land of Duh. During all of that free time I had slept through, I was supposed to be at work! "OH MY GOD!!!" I exclaimed. I actually think I frightened my hard-core boss. I was blown the fuck away! I, College Chronicler, had forgotten to go to work. That is some shit that doesn't even happen to the black people I know. Forgetting to go to work is like....something you would see in a movie or something, but I don't know 1 person from the Motherland that has forgotten to get to work...it's like a sin or something. Ahhhh!!!

After I had a pyschotic episode in the office (my boss slowly began to back away) I raced home and called my grandmother (who, by the way, is cool as hell). She, too, was shocked that I had FORGOTTEN to go to work, but she also thought it was funny as hell. I was not amused. Yes, these girls had disappointed me, hurt my feelings, ect. That's all fine and dandy. But they had fucked with my money! While I screamed and ranted to no one in particular, I received a text message from Instigator. Just to let you know, we'll be meeting in the lobby at such and such time. What? They still thought that I was going to the damn party with them? I text her back, Thanks, but I won't be able to make it. She sent me one back, Okay...

I took a deep breath and began to meditate. Suddenly, my phone rang. It was another black girl, a friend of ours.

Friend: Why you ain't going to the party tomorrow?
Me: Because me and the other girls had a disagreement.
Friend: What disagreement?
Me: They apparently have a clique, and I'm not willing to be apart of one, so I'm not going to go.

Now Readers, instinct told me that girls run in packs. Kind of like dogs. And we like drama. So, I was going to watch what I said. They were the enemy, and I wasn't going to give them anything to turn it around.

I added as cheerfully as I could muster: Hope there's no hard feelings, though. You guys have a good time.
Friend (sighing): Alright, well...don't be a stranger.
Me (fake laughing): I won't, promise.


Like clockwork, about 10 minutes later, Instigator, Bible Thumper, and Attitude were knocking at my door. Apparently, the good ole Friend had me on speaker phone (without me knowing).

Attitude: Hey, I heard what you said and I just wanted to apologize.

That's right, Readers, they began to apologize. The excuses ranged from "No, no, we really don't want to think of ourselves as a clique" to teary-eyed Bible Thumper's "Honestly, I don't want to lose any friends over something like this...". I listened, nodded when appropriate, and allowed them to feel like they were making a difference. But in my mind, they had been reduced to acquaintances. People that I spoke to in passing (and later on, participated in some of my film assignments). I had no more love for them. After all, Mama always said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

2 comments:

Beatrix Kiddo said...

What kind of friend puts you on speakerphone like that? Not very nice.
Now that I think about it, I've never actually forgotten to go to work. Weird. And it's even easier to remember now, since that's all I do with my day.

Irish and Jew said...

LOVE IT. Well handled CC, don't you love it when you handle a situation perfectlly?!

ps i used to forget to go to work all the time.

pps i used to get stoned a lot ;)

-Jew