Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Best Friends Forever?

Today a friend and I went to go see Sex and the City. For lack of better words, it was amazing. I'm not a chick flick type of gal by any means (I boycotted Lifetime at the age of 13, much to my mother's horror), but I put up a white flag and checked it out. It's was full of laughs, tears (yes, even the bad ass, almighty CC had a few tears) and of course sex. What was more interesting was that it was about 5 young women in the audience. The rest were senior citizens. Huh. I guess if you can't get a fix in the bedroom you go to the big screen.

But I digress. The movie was fun and the new friend and I made plans to hang out more often. Here's the thing though: whenever I meet someone that I have common interests with, and can laugh at my corny jokes and agrees to hang out again, I get super excited. Finding friendships is a lot like finding a date. You can't rush it by any means, or force yourself on to people. You have to play it cool. The Friend that I mentioned in "Cut from the Same Cloth" and I are considered "best friends", however she is stretched between about 50 different people. Which is fine--for her. But for me, the more simple type, I would like a friend who isn't tied up with a million people and that can hang out on a regular basis. Is that too much to ask?


I feel like I lose independence when I talk....er, type like this. I shouldn't need anyone, right? I mean who needs friends when you've got good wine, a "Nick at Nite" line up and your computer? Certainly not me.


Maybe. It's a family joke that I've never had a true best friend. Which is only slightly true. I had two best friends in my adolescence years, but my family uprooted and moved across the country. Bye bye comrades! So for the last 5 years or so, I've been friendless. Plenty of acquaintances--you know, those "get together once or twice but they don't know truly shit about you" people. But never a friend, who calls each other up on a weekly basis just to hang out and see what's up with each other's lives. My so called "best friend" and I don't hang out often simply because we both work in the same field and so our schedules collide all the damn time. Plus, she's exactly like me, so it's get annoying have "me" around. Tell me, how does she qualify as a best friend then? Hmmm.


What is the recipe for a good friendship? Time? Compatibility? But what else, if any? What exactly is it that keeps one (i.e. me) from having a close group of gal pals à la Carrie Bradshaw? Is it simply that young women in today's age don't have time nor means to build friendships?

I'm going to try an experiment. Actually it's a really sucky one, but ah well....I'm in Film not Sciences. Anyway, this new friend is raw potential in a sort. She doesn't know too much about me, and I don't know too much about her. I'm going to actually try to build a friendship with her--but not in the creepy, stalker killer way. Just actually calling (I hate, hate, hate talking on the phone--something I'm trying to break out of), and inviting to things. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: