Wednesday, May 7, 2008

To Friend or Not To Friend

I think I'm needy. Yep. Just a needy ass person. I always feel like I should be around someone, having a conversation or just chilling out. But it's not my fault--really. My "best friend" is extremely busy and has her own circle of friends, so she's stretched pretty thin. My "friends" also have their own circle of friends and are pretty involved with their finals right now. And my "acquaintances"....well, who the hell wants to hang out with them?


Maybe my problem is I don't have my own circle of friends. I have random friends, one here and one there. But none of them are consistent. And Boyfriend is in a different part of the country always. So he's no help. I guess--if I can sound like a whiny, needy person right now--what I need is 2 or 3 girlfriends, who we are all equal friends with that I can chat with on a daily basis and plan things with ("Hey, what are you doing later?" or "What's up this weekend?"). Then I'd be satisfied. But the question is: How does one gain a "circle" of friends? Is it pure luck (you all just happen live in the same apartment building, or have multiple courses together, or work together all the time) or do people actually work at building one?


And furthermore, what the hell is happening to me? I've never been a needy person. Hell, I'm in a 3-year long distance relationship. I was alway, always been a loner. Yes it's possible to change, but 180 degrees? Geesh. It's like social menopause. I suppose I could approach friendship like dating. Try different people out, and nix the bad ones. But that's how drama happens. And then you end up wanting nothing more than to sit in on a Saturday night with a bowl of popcorn and Family Guy not answering your phone.


Eh. I'll figure out something sooner or later.

No comments: